Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a civil rights activist and leader in the African-American community. He is known for being a great speaker and his many words have been immortalized as quotes, which have been used to inspire people all over the world. Dr. King's words were so powerful that they continue to be quoted today, 50 years after his death, as a reminder of the battle he fought for equality.
To celebrate Dr. King’s achievements we captured 20 of his most inspiring quotes which demonstrates what he fought and died for.
1. "Each individual has a spark of divinity within, and the task of each person is to discover that light and let it shine."
2. "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
3. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
4. "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice."
5. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
6. "We must create a society which can say with pride, 'We have made too much progress today to turn back.'"
7. "Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed."
8. "People fail because they don't know how to take advantage of their strengths."
9. "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
10. "If you are truly free, then you should act like it!"
11. “There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor politic nor popular--but one must take it because conscience tells one it's right”
12. “If someone tells me I can't do something, then I'm going to do it even more”
13."If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way."
14. "There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right."
15. "We must create an economic system that provides jobs and decent wages for all."
16. "I have learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
17. “It's always the right time to do what's right."
18. “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”
19. “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?'”
20. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”