Virtual Influencers are computer-generated characters that can be used for social media marketing, in lieu of human influencers. They have realistic features, personalities, and characteristics that make them seem life-like and relatable to their audiences. Some of the most popular virtual influencers include Lu do Magalu, Lil Miquela, Barbie, and Noonoouri.
Benefits of using Virtual Influencers
Virtual influencers can offer many benefits to brands, such as:
- They can be more cost-effective and easier to manage than human influencers, as they do not require travel expenses, contracts, or negotiations.
- They can be more consistent and reliable, as they do not have personal issues, scandals, or controversies that could damage their reputation or the brand's image.
- They can be more creative and innovative, as they can be customized and adapted to any style, theme, or campaign.
- They can be more engaging and influential, as they can generate higher levels of interest, curiosity, and loyalty among their followers.
Risks of using Virtual Influencers
Virtual influencers also come with some challenges and risks, such as:
- They can be less authentic and trustworthy, as they do not have real experiences, opinions, or emotions that could resonate with their audiences.
- They can be less transparent and ethical, as they may not disclose their artificial nature or their affiliation with brands, which could violate the guidelines and regulations of social media platforms and authorities.
- They can be less diverse and inclusive, as they may not reflect the diversity and representation of real people and communities, which could alienate or offend some segments of their audiences.
- They can be less secure and stable, as they may be vulnerable to hacking, manipulation, or deletion by their creators or third parties, which could compromise their integrity or availability.
Do's of using a Virtual Influencer
Here are some Do's of using Virtual Influencers:
- Do research and understand the target audience, the market, and the goals of the campaign, and choose a virtual influencer that matches the brand's identity, values, and message.
- Do collaborate and communicate with the virtual influencer's creator, and establish a clear and mutually beneficial partnership that respects the creative vision and the business objectives of both parties.
- Do monitor and measure the performance and the impact of the virtual influencer, and use data and feedback to evaluate the effectiveness and the return on investment of the campaign.
- Do be honest and ethical, and disclose the virtual influencer's nature and the brand's affiliation, and follow the best practices and the standards of social media marketing.
Don'ts of using a Virtual Influencer
Here are some Don'ts of using Virtual Influencers:
- Don't rely solely on the virtual influencer, and complement the campaign with other marketing strategies and channels, such as human influencers, user-generated content, or paid ads.
- Don't ignore or neglect the human element, and ensure that the virtual influencer has a realistic and relatable personality, voice, and story, and interacts with the audience in a genuine and meaningful way.
- Don't overlook or disregard the diversity and the sensitivity of the audience, and ensure that the virtual influencer respects and represents the diversity and the inclusion of real people and communities, and avoids any stereotypes, biases, or prejudices.
- Don't compromise or endanger the security and the stability of the virtual influencer, and ensure that the virtual influencer is protected and backed up by the creator and the platform, and is not exposed to any threats or risks.
Virtual influencers are a new and exciting trend in social media marketing, and they can offer many opportunities and advantages to brands. However, they also pose some challenges and risks, and they require careful planning and execution. By understanding the dos and don'ts when using virtual influencers, brands can leverage their potential, avoid their pitfalls, and create successful and memorable campaigns.
(1) Virtual influencer - Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_influencer.
(2) Discover The Top 12 Virtual Influencers for 2024 - Listed and Ranked. https://influencermarketinghub.com/virtual-influencers/.
(3) What Are Virtual Influencers and How Do They Work. https://influencermarketinghub.com/what-are-virtual-influencers/.
(4) Virtual Influencer: What Are They and Why You Need Them [2023 Update]. https://peertopeermarketing.co/virtual-influencer/.
(5) What is a Virtual Influencer? Virtual Influencers, Defined and .... https://www.virtualhumans.org/article/what-is-a-virtual-influencer-virtual-influencers-defined-and-explained.
(6) Top 10 Virtual Influencers to follow on Social Media. https://www.thebusinessanecdote.com/post/top-ten-virtual-influencers-to-follow-on-social-media